Manufacturing is one of the largest private sector employers on PEI.
Manufacturing businesses include food processing, wood products, shipbuilding, fabricated metals, plastics, and aerospace and railway components.
This industry employs technicians, trades people, managers and other administration staff.
- Manufacturing is considered an essential service in Atlantic Canada and work continues in many facilities though with modified operating requirements.
- Several large operations have stopped or scaled back production significantly due to weak demand for their products or the direct impact of the safety concerns of COVID-19.
- The impact on the manufacturing sector has been significant in several sub-sectors including food manufacturing, shipbuilding, forest products and refineries.
- For many manufacturers that are continuing to operate, productivity will be negatively impacted by new health and safety measures to protect workers from COVID-19 including physical distancing, staggering shifts and increased sanitization.
- Manufacturing contributes $7 billion of GDP in Atlantic Canada, which accounts for 6.7% of total regional GDP.
- Annual sales of Atlantic manufacturers averaged $36 billion between 2017 and 2019.
- Nearly 78,000 people are employed in Atlantic Canada’s manufacturing sector, almost 7% of total employment, making it the region’s 7th largest employer. Average weekly wages in Atlantic manufacturing are $1,032, 9% above the all-industry average.
According to the WorkPEI Employment Analysis in May 2019, on PEI 6,700 people worked in manufacturing. In May 2020, that number went down to 4,800.
The mission of the CWB Welding Foundation is to broaden awareness of the career potential and opportunities in welding, and to advocate for a strong and sustainable welding workforce in support of Canada’s economy.
Sparking Success: Our Impact in 2019-20, check out scholarships, awards, bursaries and more, read more
Manufacturing on Prince Edward Island – Company hiring practices
- 3 Points Aviation, West Royalty Industrial Park, Charlottetown
- Atlantic Advanced Power Technologies, Poole's Corner
- CMP Equipment, Milton
- Craig Wood Products, Northam Road, Tyne Valley
- Eastern Fabricators, Poole's Corner
- H.F. Stewart, West Point
- Island Stoneware, Summerside
- MacDougall Steel Erectors, Borden-Carleton
- MarineNav Ltd., Panmure Island
- Meyer Housewares, Charlottetown
- Next Level Group, Charlottetown
- PEI Bag Company, Central Bedeque
- Roberts Group of Companies, Kinkora, Alberton, Clinton, Kensington, New Annan
- Tignish Co-operative, Tignish
- Timber Koke's Sawmill, Montague
- White's Fabrication, Commercial Cross Road near Montague
- Wood4Heating Canada Inc., Charlottetown
Sample jobs and employers
- Cavendish Farms
Construction Industrial Mechanic/Millwright:
- AgraWest Foods Inc.
Sheet Metal Workers:
- Bevan Brothers Ltd.
- J&S Sheet Metal Ltd.
- Sherbrooke Mechanical Ltd.
Welders, Related Machine Operators and Labourers:
- Charlottetown Metal Products
- Jasper Wyman & Sons
- Diversified Metal Engineering Ltd.
- Action Aero
- Charlottetown Metal Products
- MacDougall Steel
Stationary Engineers and Auxiliary Equipment:
- Acadian Fishermen’s Cooperative Ltd.
- Atlantic Beef Products Incorporated
- Sekisui Diagnostics PEI Inc.
- McCain Foods
- Royal Star Foods Ltd.
CNC Precision Machinist:
- Tube-Fab Ltd.
- MDS Coating Technologies Corporation
- 3 Points Aviation
PEI employers in Aerospace, Defence and Marine
- 3 Points Machining & Aerospace | www.3pointsaviation.com
- Action Aero | www.actionaero.com
- Dual Bright: aviation displays & gauges by MarineNav Ltd. | www.marinenav.ca
- MDS Coating Technologies Corporation | www.mdscoating.com
- Precision G&T Engineering: engineers, machinists, tool & die makers | http://precisiongtengineering.weebly.com | 902-687-1448
- Tube-Fab Ltd. | www.tube–fab.com
Sample jobs in Aerospace
- Assembly Technician
- Aerospace Technician
- Mechanical Engineer
- Quality Technician/Inspector
- CNC/Precision Machinist
Education, training & certification
Holland College has a full compliment of trades and technology programs. Visit www.hollandcollege.com.
For details on trades in manufacturing that have an Apprenticeship program, contact the Apprenticeship Branch of Department of Innovation and Advanced Learning, 902-368-4460 or visit www.apprenticeship.pe.ca.
To explore the manufacturing sector further:
Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium (EMC) is a unique non-profit organization dedicated to helping manufacturers GROW and become MORE COMPETITIVE, at home and around the world.
For more information about careers in manufacturing, visit www.jobbank.gc.ca. Jobs, wages, qualifications and more!
For more information about careers in Aerospace & Defence, visit Atlantic Canada Aerospace and Defence https://ac–ada.ca.
|Click to watch videos of the trades and technology programs Holland College offers across PEI.|
|Click for related articles on Manufacturing.|