According to BuildForce Canada, PEI was the lone province to experience a rise in construction employment in 2020, propelled through the pandemic by the momentum of an increasing residential housing expansion.
Construction demands are expected to accelerate in 2021, driven by a wave of public-sector investment alongside continued high levels of new housing construction, and an anticipated recovery in commercial and industrial investment.
The pace of growth slows in 2022 before contracting slightly, but the province will continue to lead population growth in the Atlantic region, sustaining strong economic growth across the scenario period.
Between 2020 and 2022, housing starts and related employment are expected to be sustained at record levels, which means that meeting non-residential requirements will depend on the industry’s ability to continue attracting skilled trades to the province.
Residential construction investment continued to rise in 2020, driven by gains in single-detached housing starts and a 13 percent increase in renovation spending due in part to the provincial renovation rebate program that began in the summer. Residential construction activity is anticipated to remain at current levels through 2021 and 2022, before decreasing in line with falling new-housing investment.
Tight labour markets are projected to continue in 2021 and 2022 for both residential and non-residential construction. As a result of an aging labour force, an estimated 1,500 construction workers are expected to retire over the next decade.
Construction – Residential on Prince Edward Island – Company hiring practices
- A.C. McCardle Home Builders Cornwall
- AMAC Electric (2004) Ltd., Island-wide
- Budget Blinds, Island-wide
- Callbeck's Home Hardware Building Centre/ Callbeck’s Home Furniture & Appliances, Summerside
- Castle group of companies: Spring Valley Building Centre, Kensington; O’Leary Building Centre, Town ‘N Country Carpet One, Summerside and Western Truss, Elmsdale
- Chappell Custom Homes, Marshfield
- Confederation Construction and Interiors Inc., Charlottetown and Stratford
- Green Diamond Equipment, Stratford, Summerside and Bloomfield
- Homesol Building Solutions, Island-wide
- Hope DesRoche Painting, Charlottetown & Summerside
- Leading Edge Group, Charlottetown
- MacKenzie Builders Services Ltd., Souris
- R. Seegers Construction, Charlottetown
- Skygate Videography Inc., Slemon Park
- Sunly Energy, Island-wide
- Timber Mart / J.C. HandyMan Services & Sales, Alberton
- T&J Construction, Charlottetown
- Trim Landscaping, Island-wide
- WCD Solar, St. George's
- Weatherskin PEI, Stratford
PEI Home Show great place to meet employers who are hiring: Thomas Edison Electric and Kennedy Metals
Some job titles
- General Contractor
- General Labourer
- Red Seal and Apprentice Carpenter
- Fine Carpenters
- Tiling and flooring specialist
- Foundation specialist
CHBA-PEI, which has about 30 members, is the provincial arm of the national organization.
Programs to help enter the trades
- Youth Internship Program (SYnC) – https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/information/workforce-and-advanced-learning/youth-internship-program-sync
- Trade HERizons – for women interested in entering the trades: www.wnpei.org/Trade-HERizons
- PEI Construction Association Youth in Trades program: www.capei.ca/home
- BuildForce Canada programs to attract women, First Nations, and youth to the trades: www.buildforce.ca
|For more information about the Construction Association sector on PEI, call 902-368-3303. Visit www.capei.ca.
For more about Buildforce Canada, visit www.buildforce.ca/en.
For more about the Canadian Home Builders Association-PEI, call 902-367-6125 . Visit www.chba-pei.ca.
|Click to watch videos of the trades and technology programs Holland College offers across PEI.|
|Click for related articles on the Construction Industry.|