Career Development Profession on Prince Edward Island – Hiring practices
Career Development is the lifelong process of managing learning, work, and transitions in order to move toward your preferred future. There are several noteworthy elements in this definition. Read more about it here.
Career Development Professionals work with people of all ages to help them to manage their learning, work, leisure, and transitions. The goal of career services is to help people to pursue learning and to find work which is personally meaningful and to learn how to manage transitions in today’s ever-evolving labour market. Read more about it here.
On PEI, they are employed in settings such as:
- Employment Assistance Services
- Community Sector Network –non-profit organizations/agencies
- Labour Market Information Specialties – The Employment Journey and government
- Department of Education and Lifelong Learning
- Service Canada
- Industry Sector Councils / Associations
- Private Employers – Human Resources departments
- Post-Secondary Education & Training Institutions – Career Services
In 2018, Career Development Association of PEI did their research on the people who work in this profession on PEI. A survey indicated the following:
- The top five job titles identified were: Career Practitioner (17%), College Educator (12%), Employment Counsellor (12%), Secondary School Teacher (11%), and Career Counsellor (10%)
- 57% of respondents have worked in the career development field for 10+ years.
- The median wage is between $45,000-$65,000 and encompasses those who work across all sectors (private, not-for-profit, and public).
- 54% identified as being between the ages of 31-50
- 38% identified as being between the ages of 51-61+
- 74% identified as female and 26% as male.
For more about the Career Development Professional Labour Force study, click here.
CERIC developed a set of Guiding Principles outlining the many benefits of career development profession: read more.
To work in this field there are many possible pathways: read more.
Youth employment programs
Help with career management
For more information about the Career Development profession on PEI, contact the Career Development Association of PEI, at [email protected].
|Click to watch videos of the many programs Holland College offers across PEI, such as Human Resources Management.|
|Click for related articles on Career Development.|