The Employment Journey on PEI – Careers in Agriculture
Agriculture on Prince Edward Island – Company hiring practices
- Atlantic AgriTech Inc., New Glasgow
- Cardigan Feed Services, Cardigan
- Green Diamond Equipment, Stratford, Summerside and Bloomfield
- Fleece & Harmony Woolen Mill, Belfast
- Larkin Bros., Farm in New Glasgow and processing company in Crapaud
- PEI Bag Company, Central Bedeque
- R.A. Rose & Sons, North Lake
- Roberts Group of Companies, Kinkora, Alberton, Clinton, Kensington, New Annan
- Sunseeker Property Services, Charlottetown
- Triple S Holdings, Rollo Bay
- VetNOW, Charlottetown
Careers in agriculture account for one of every eight jobs, and the number is increasing.
“About 4,400 jobs are directly related to agriculture on PEI,” says Laurie Loane, Executive Director, PEI Agriculture Sector Council. “Farmers hire labourers in March and April and throughout the summer, and then we have a huge amount of hiring for four to eight weeks in the fall for harvest.
“Depending on the commodity, a lot of these jobs are available year round. There are also jobs in management, science, human resources, mechanics, government, and at agriculture-related companies.
“In spite of COVID-19, most farm employers are hiring and making sure that everyone is social distancing, providing extra wash stations and extra gear.”
Seasonal employment opportunities
- Farm Technician
- Forklift Driver
- Tractor/Combine Operator
- Class 1 & Class 3 A Driver
Other year-round jobs
- Dairy Relief Milker
- Dairy Herdsman
- Seed Technician
- Vet Technician
- Equipment Operator/Mechanic
Depending on the commodity, many jobs are available year- round. There are also jobs in management, science, human resources, mechanics, government, and at agriculture-related companies.
Discover more occupations with this question:
- Atlantic Veterinary College
- More Long and Short-term courses and programs
- PEI Farm Technician Apprenticeship program
Resources to further explore the field
A love for animals turns a passion into self-employment in rural PEI: Ruff Life Professional Grooming
What is your something?
What is your future career path? You have to do SOMETHING to earn a living, but what will it be?
Here are some examples of careers in agriculture and food… Is there SOMETHING that interests you?
English version, click here.
French version, click here.
|For more information about the agriculture sector on PEI, call 902-892-1091.
|Click to find more information about careers in Agriculture and Aquaculture.|
|Click to watch video - Farming is a Cool Career.|
|Click to watch video on the Plant Science Industry.|
|To inform us of the variety of farms we have on PEI, in the summer of 2020 the PEI Agriculture Awareness Committee put together the following informational video tours.|
|Click for related articles on Agriculture.|