The largest industry on Prince Edward Island
Agriculture on Prince Edward Island – Hiring practices
- ADL, Summerside
- Atlantic AgriTech Inc., New Glasgow
- Cardigan Feed Services, Cardigan
- Gaudet Farms, Tignish
- Green Diamond Equipment, Stratford, Summerside and Bloomfield
- Hydraulic Power Plus 2014 Inc., Cardigan
- Larkin Bros., Farm in New Glasgow and processing company in Crapaud
- PEI Bag Company, Central Bedeque
- R.A. Rose & Sons, North Lake
- Roberts Group of Companies, Kinkora, Alberton, Clinton, Kensington, New Annan
- Sunseeker Property Services, Charlottetown
- Tignish Co-operative, Tignish
- VetNOW, Charlottetown
Careers in agriculture account for one of every eight jobs, and the number is increasing.
“Dairy farming used to be a very labour intensive job,” says Bloyce Thompson, Owner of Eastside Holsteins and Minister of Agriculture and Land, Minister of Justice and Public Safety and Attorney General. “Technology has changed farming for the better, and has improved the lives of farmers. With technology comes new skill sets such as the ability to operate computerized equipment, because some new tractors are like getting into a rocket ship.”
Bloyce says there are about 7 billon people in the world and farmers are needed to feed them. “Agriculture is only going to continue to grow. It is a great career to launch into.”
According to the 45th Annual Statistical Review released in July, 2019 farm cash receipts for 2018 totaled $496.0 million, a decrease of 2.0 percent over 2017.
Number of people employed
According to the WorkPEI Employment Analysis, there are 4,600 people employed in agriculture in 2019.
Some job titles
• Agriculture Technician
• Vegetable/fruit harvester
• Truck driver
• Agricultural Equipment dealer or mechanic
• Agricultural Engineer
Discover more occupations with this question:
- Atlantic Veterinary College
- More Long and Short-term courses and programs
- PEI Farm Technician Apprenticeship program
Resources to further explore the field
Mary Robinson presented with 2017 Women in Agriculture Recognition Award -The Guardian – June 5, 2017
What is your something?
What is your future career path? You have to do SOMETHING to earn a living, but what will it be?
Here are some examples of careers in agriculture and food… Is there SOMETHING that interests you?
English version, click here.
French version, click here.
|For more information about the agriculture sector on PEI, call 902-892-1091.
|Click to find more information about careers in Agriculture and Aquaculture.|
|Click to watch video - Farming is a Cool Career.|
|Click to watch video on the Plant Science Industry.|
|Click for related articles on Agriculture.|