by Heidi Riley
If you attended a job fair recently and made a good impression in person by having a friendly chat, leaving your resumé and taking the recruiter’s business card, what is the next step? How can you stand out and show the employer you are still interested in working for them?
Sending a thoughtful thank-you note by email or through LinkedIn highlights your interest in the company and ensures you stick in the recruiter’s mind.
What do you say to make yourself memorable?
- Keep the tone professional – refer to the recruiter by Mr. or Ms (last name)
- Keep the message simple – list the event and the date of the job fair and the jobs they were looking to fill that interest you
- Refer to something you discussed during your in-person chat
- Ask if they have filled the position(s) they were hiring for
- Say you are looking forward to hearing more about the next steps of the hiring process
- Ask if you can connect in the near future.
- Thank the recruiter for their time
- Attach your resumé
FOR MORE INFORMATION
To keep an eye on employment-related events taking place across the Island, visit www.employmentjourney.com/calendar/
For tips to prepare for the next job fair, visit https://youtu.be/CzwNOIMcRFE
For help connecting with employers contact Career Development Services.
For a complete list of services and programs to help with job search and career planning, visit www.employmentjourney.com/jobs/pei-resources-and-services-for-job-seekers-employers/