**New toll free number to call if you need someone to deliver food to your home 1-833-533-9333.
And checkout the information below for organizations and businesses across PEI who are providing food.
Tammy MacKinnon shares on her Facebook that she has been sending out tons of messages and on the phone trying to find all the free food resources available for people across PEI. “I will add more as I hear of more available,” says Tammy.
**Updated Saturday, April 4 – Gift Cards will now be available throughout PEI, with over 80 organizations helping pass them out. More details to come.
***SOBEYS & Government of PEI are now offering $100 Sobeys Gift Cards to employees who are laid off or have reduced hours (by 8 hours a week or more). Your employer will need to fill out the paperwork on your behalf.
For details on the Employee Gift Card Program and application form, click here.
**Belmont Food Bank and Salvation Army Food Bank are offering Food Hampers TWICE/month now**
This is what she has complied to-date:
1. Public Schools Branch is helping families dealing with food insecurity during this time. Beginning this week, nutritious prepared meals and snacks will be provided to families who register for support. Families are asked to contact the Support for Families lines at 902-368-5155 or 902-368-6990 or email [email protected].
March 31, 2020-Minister Brad Trivers announced that, in the absence of access to school breakfast and lunch programs with schools currently closed, the province is working with the Public Schools Branch, PEI Home and School Federation, and Breakfast Club of Canada to assist families dealing with food insecurity.
2. Pure Kitchen Catering is offering free meals to kids who need them, starting March 22. Approximately 100 portions will be available per week. PLEASE….If you know of any families that need this kind of help…. reach out to them. They will do their best to help. For details, send them a message or call 902-892-2190.
This offer is for pick up only. If you need delivery, you can join Charlottetown Sharing Page and/or Caremongering – PEI Response to COVID-19 Facebook pages, as many have offered to help deliver food. ️
3. Hunter’s Ale House just announced 1/2 price kids’ meals. “I am posting here in FREE food resources because several people have said they would purchase these for families/kids in need,” says Tammy.
You can join Caremongering – PEI Response to COVID-19 FB page and ask about getting meals donated. ️Call Hunters to order: 902-367-4040.
1. Salvation Army, Charlottetown – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:30 am -11 am
Anyone who needs a hamper can get one (don’t have to be a regular client) and you can now go TWICE a month.
2. Cornwall Food Bank – Pick up Thursdays at Lion’s Club on Cornwall Road (Curling Club building) Please call Upper Room Food Bank by Wednesday to order your box at 902-892-7092
3. Upper Room Food Bank – Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 9 am – 11 am. People can pick up hampers twice a month now. They will also do their best to get to you if you can’t pick up.The Upper Room Hospitality Ministry Inc, Charlottetown Area.
4. Gifts from the Heart, Charlottetown – Monday to Friday, 10 am -4 pm
(58 Spring Lane). They are giving out food until they run out. Call 902-628-6871
5. 4 Love 4 Care is also offering food hampers for those in need. Please click this link to fill out a form to receive meals (or to donate). Look in the top left corner for those options:
https://stiritup.pwaapps.ca/ or call 902-213-1553 or 902-393-1993.
6. First Baptist Church – Mondays 9-10 am at Fitzroy Street entrance in Charlottetown.
7. Summerside Salvation Army Food Bank – Wednesdays & Fridays, 10:30 am -2:30 pm
(please write down name/address/phone #/Date Of Birth before you go) – Pope Avenue
8. South Shore Food Share, Crapaud area – by appointment only. Please message them through Facebook.
9. Montague Food Bank – Thursdays 9 am -11:30 am
10. Souris Food Bank – Saturdays 11 am -12:30 pm
11. Caring Cupboard – 4 locations:
Tyne Valley, Alberton & Bloomfield – Thursdays 10 am -12 pm
Tignish – Tuesdays 4-5 pm
During the COVID-19 pandemic only: If you know someone who cannot get out, you can take their ID with you and pick up for them.
12. Freshest fruits and vegetables Grocery are now offering food boxes for those in real need. You can contact them through their Facebook page. They are also looking for people who can donate financially so they can do up even more boxes for those in need.
MEALS (TAKE OUT AND/OR DELIVERED):
1. South Shore Food Share (CRAPAUD AREA) is now offering free bagged lunches Monday, Wednesday and Friday’s for any family or senior in need. Lunches will not be sandwiches but rather canned soups, beans, Kraft dinner etc that you can heat at home as we do not have a proper license to prepare meals. We will be adding fruit and snacks to the bags also.
Lunches may be picked up in the Foodshare parking lot between 11:00 am – 12:00 pm on these days. If you are a senior, please contact Jackie (902) 439-4821, Jenny (902) 393-4566 or Terri (902) 218-0772 and we will deliver to your door.
2. Summerside Salvation Army Soup Kitchen
Summerside Area – Pope Ave.
Take our meals are provided Mondays thru Fridays, from 11:30 am -12:30 ️pm
3. Pure Kitchen Catering
They provide ready made meals. People can pay for meals to be donated for those who are in need. Call 902-892-2190 or [email protected] ️
4. Stir It Up PEI is offering free meals to those in need. If you or someone you know is in need, please contact them through their Face Book page, 902-394-7364 or [email protected].
5. 4 Love 4 Care is now offering free meals for those needing some nourishment. Please message them through their Face Book page or call 902-213-1553 or 902-393-1993. ️
6. Soup Kitchen – 101 Richmond St., Charlottetown is open
Monday – Friday, 11:30-12:00 and 4:30-5:00
Saturday & Sunday, 11:30-12:00 ️
7. The Yellow House & Green Island Catering are now offering FREE baking in the North Rustico Area. Bread, Cinnamon Rolls, Muffins, etc to anyone in need. Follow their page as they will be adding to their free menu as need demands it (soups, lasagna, mac n cheese, etc) To have your
order delivered please call 902-330-9219.
TBK Silver Streams Restaurant is donating 50 meals per week to the Soup Kitchen to help with their takeout meals. Silver Streams has also put out an offer to help Senior Care homes if needed ️
**If anyone needs help with food pick up and/or delivery please join Charlottetown Sharing Page or Caremongering – PEI: Response to COVID-19 **
***For those who are able to help financially, you can make donations through the Facebook pages listed above…right now the best way to give is to donate money so they can buy what is needed most (Food Banks) or donate meals through the businesses listed under “Meals”. ️
Source: Free Food Resources on PEI: Tammy MacKinnon Facebook Page – check it out for further updates.