Digital Skills 4 Youth PEI is a new internship opportunity for Island youth up to 30 years of age. The program connects recent graduates to meaningful employment and gives them the skills to succeed in the digital economy.
SkillsPEI partners with Island businesses or non-profit organizations who will act as Intern Host Organizations, providing a recent graduate with professional experience and an opportunity to learn.
The program provides the approved employer with a maximum of $21,500 per intern, which is understood to be 75 percent of the intern’s total salary.
SkillsPEI also provides Digital Workplace Skills Training, to be completed during the internship. This is supported at no cost to the employer.
Eligible employers can submit proposals to the department listing beneficial experiences for the intern and the possibility of the internship leading to long-term employment.
Special consideration is given to employers in rural areas and those looking to hire youth facing employment barriers, Indigenous youth, members of a visible minority group, persons with disabilities, and women.
After the employer is approved to hire an intern under the funding, the employer can start the hiring process. The intern must meet the following criteria:
- Be within the age requirements at the start of the internship
- Have recently completed post-secondary studies, meaning a degree or diploma program from a recognized institution.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status.
- Not in receipt of Employment Insurance during their internship
- Self-assess as unemployed or underemployed, meaning they are employed below their level of education and/or hold part-time employment
- Not be an immediate family member of the employer
How to apply
Employers can get the application form by clicking here
For more information, call the SkillsPEI general inquiries line at 1-877-491-4766 or visit a SkillsPEI office.
Funded by the Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.