Consider a great experience in Early Childhood Education for summer or year-round employment
- Do you enjoy experiencing new learning adventures?
- Are you curious about how young children learn?
- Ever wonder why children ask so many questions, and are always willing to take a risk?
- Would you like to help PEI families make the early years count?
Full-time, part-time, summer, and year-round positions are available throughout PEI at a variety of licensed early learning centres, and family resource centres.
“So many investments are being made to the early learning and childcare system in Canada and on PEI,” says Jennifer Nangreaves, Executive Director of Early Childhood Development Association (ECDA) of PEI
“Qualified Early Childhood Educators are needed for this expansion! It is a great time to consider our profession.”
For an in-depth look at becoming a professional early learning educator, click here.
- Early Childhood Care & Education diploma
- Certified First Aid course
- A vulnerable sector criminal record clearance from the RCMP
- The ability to speak French (if working in a Francophone centre)
“When hiring an Early Childhood Educator, employers look for people with strong communication skills, a sense of empathy and compassion, someone who is optimistic, energetic and flexible. They also require a high level of creativity, initiative, as well as great problem solving, critical thinking, leadership, organizational and time management skills.”
Education options on PEI
- Holland College: Early Childhood Care and Education program
- Collège de l’Île: Early Childhood Educator
Job titles at childcare centres
- Director or Supervisor
- Early Childhood Educator
- Substitute Caregiver
- Inclusions Support Worker/Special Needs Assistant
- Early Childhood Educator Assistant
Wages for positions for designated Early Years Centres
Jennifer says there are a lot of summer employment opportunities in the sector right now as well as year-round careers. Check out their website for career opportunities at www.ecdaofpei.ca/educators/careers/openings.php
“Volunteering at a centre, working for the summer or becoming a substitute is a great way to find out if working in an Early Childhood Centre is for you!”
Check out the substitute list at www.ecdaofpei.ca/educators/careers/substitute.php
“We would love to speak to anyone interested in learning more about early learning and child care on PEI. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org
“The Early Learning and Child Care Board, through the Department of Education and Early Years, provides certification based on education credentials.”
For more information on certification or to apply for certification, contact Monique McClean, Manager Early Learning and Child Care at 902-368-6518.
PEI Early Childhood Education news you can use:
For more information about daycare regulations, visit www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/information/education-early-learning-and-culture/early-childhood-development.
For more about the Early Childhood Development Association of PEI, visit www.ecdaofpei.ca.
Daycare providers are listed on the PEI Early Learning and Child Care Registry (ELCC Registry) Visit https://peichildcareregistry.com.