*This article was compiled before the restrictions surrounding COVID-19 were put into place and permission was given to The Employment Journey to publish as is.
by Heidi Riley
BioVectra is a contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) that has been in operation on PEI for 50 years. There are presently just over 400 staff members, and the company is planning to hire 40 more immediately.
“By this time next year, we could have 600 employees between PEI and Nova Scotia,” says Lester Wood, Executive Director of Human Resources.
Recently, the company held a job fair in Charlottetown. “We held the job fair to dispel some of the mystery as to what we do and what skills we are looking for, and that we are not all scientists here,” says Lester. “PEI is booming, and Island bioscience companies often compete for the same pool of available workers.
“The job fair was a major success. In four hours, we had 234 visitors, and gave over 20 facility tours. We anticipate making approximately 25 hires stemming from the event.”
What does BioVectra do?
BioVectra develops and manufactures active pharmaceutical ingredients for leading global pharmaceutical and biotech companies.
The company was started by former UPEI professor Dr. Regis Duffy in his garage as a way to keep his brightest and best students engaged on PEI. Now, 50 years later, the company has over 150,000 square feet of production space in five buildings in Charlottetown and one in Windsor, Nova Scotia.
“All skillsets and experience levels are needed, and a science background is not necessarily required for some jobs, especially some of the entry-level jobs.”
Lester says employees are encouraged to move into different departments throughout the company. “For example, our Vice President of Manufacturing started in an entry-level job as a Bench Chemist.”
Positions open in Charlottetown
- Analytical Chemist, Quality Projects: requires at least a BSc in Chemistry
- Project Engineer: requires BSc in Chemical Engineering or Process Engineering and relevant experience
- Quality Control Chemist-Stability: requires BSc or relevant college diploma
- Materials Control Associate: requires two years post-secondary education in logistics/supply chain or chemical technology or completion of grade 12 with suitable industry experience
Positions open in Windsor, NS
- Controls & Instrumentation Technician: requires an Electrical trades certificate
- Windsor Site Controller: requires professional accounting designation or MBA
- Production Technician: requires direct work experience in a field related to GMP BioPharma.
Employee benefits for full-time positions
- Group insurance plan, including life insurance, dependent life insurance, accidental death & dismemberment, long-term disability, health & dental
- Pension plan
- Continuing education
- Wellness program: a set amount to pay for activity memberships and hobbies
- Corporate golf discount program
- Health spending account: helps offset items the health plans don’t cover
Except for pension benefits, employees become eligible for benefits when they are hired.
“We now have four generations working here, and we have not seen many retirements,” says Lester. “Our longest-standing employee has been with us 40 years. He has been edging his way into retirement by taking summers off, which has helped us retain his knowledge. We hope he stays with us forever!”
For more information, call 902-566-9116. Applicants are welcome to email a resumé to [email protected].
For a list of open positions, click here.