The time of the year to apply to post-secondary is coming up and so is opportunity to apply for scholarships, awards, and financial aid.
“A number of entrance scholarships and supports are available for students coming from high school, and there are funding programs to support mature students looking to start their studies,” says Adrienne Montgomery, Manager of Scholarships, Awards & Financial Aid at UPEI.
Tips for applying for scholarships, awards and bursaries
- Start looking at what scholarships are available at the same time you apply to post-secondary.
- Do your homework and start early. “There are hundreds of awards available, so it takes time to read through and find ones you might be eligible for.”
- When applying for an award, make sure you are aware of the deadline for submission to avoid being screened out.
- Make sure to fulfill the requirements and speak to the criteria of the awards.
- If a letter of reference is required, make sure it is the right type – for example academics or personal. Tell the reference what type of scholarship you are applying for, so that the reference letter can be tailored to those requirements.
- If the application requires a resumé, tailor it to the requirements of the award.
- Many scholarships are based on more than academics, and consider volunteerism, leadership, and extracurricular activities as well. “Get involved with activities on campus or in the community, athletics, with clubs or societies, or paid work.”
Reach out for guidance
“Reach out to the UPEI scholarships office if you have any questions about the type of funding available, because each person’s situation is different,” says Adrienne. “We can look at the individual situation and let students know what they may qualify for.
“We meet with students to review the scholarship application process and make suggestions on what to include before they submit. We can also help students determine why an application may not have been approved, and if there is an appeal process available.”
For more information about applying for UPEI scholarships, call the Student Financial Services and Awards Office at 902-620-5187 or visit www.upei.ca/studentlife/scholarships-and-awards.
For a full list of scholarships, awards, and bursaries available to Island students, visit these websites: www.employmentjourney.com and search grants and bursaries.