The second tourism job fair of the year, held at Stanley Bridge Country Resort, attracted 34 employers. “The number of employers at this event is much bigger than last year,” says Kathy Livingstone, Director of Training, Tourism Industry Association of PEI.
“We have been predicting for years that the number of workers is declining due to a lower birthrate and more people reaching retirement age, and we are certainly seeing that trend reflected on PEI,” says Kathy.
Some employers at the job fair:
PEI Preserve Company, New Glasgow
Jobs: Dishwashers, Table Cleaners, and Line Cooks
Staff make preserves on the premises, and there is also a retail store, a restaurant, a mail order division, butterfly house, and gardens. A few staff work year-round in the mail order division and in the office, and at the height of the tourism season, about 80 people work there.
“Our Chefs, Servers, and Retail staff are returning from last year,” says Kara MacKenzie. “Generally, kitchen staff positions are the hardest to fill.”
“We are willing to train, so we are looking for people who have a willingness to learn, and who are flexible as to when they are available for work. We need people who are willing to work when we are busiest, which is on the nicest summer week-ends.”
“It’s great if people are available into the fall, because cruise ship traffic has extended our season,” says Neil Matheson.
To apply, visit the website or drop off a resumé at the restaurant.
Cavendish Lodge & Cottages, Cavendish
Jobs: Three full-time Housekeeping Room Attendants and one full-time Maintenance Worker
This property has 17 units, including 15 cottages and two apartments in the lodge, two playgrounds and an in-ground pool.
“These seasonal positions will start mid-May or June and run until a week after we close in October,” says Michelle Bryenton.
“This year, it seems to be a bit harder to find Housekeeping staff. It is a hard job, but very rewarding. It must be done to a high standard, because that could make or break the business.
“We look for people with previous experience, but we are willing to train, as long as they have the drive and dedication.”
To apply, contact Michelle Bryenton at 902-628-5291 or [email protected].
Funding in whole or in part through the Canada/Prince Edward Island Labour Market Development Agreement.
Other employers at the event
- Anne Stores: Shining Waters Gift Shop: www.annemuseum.com/giftshop.php
- Avonlea Cottages: www.avonleacottages.com
- Beach & Breeze Cottages: www.beachnbreeze.com
- Blue Mussel Café: www.bluemusselcafe.com
- Brackley Beach Northwinds Inn & Suites: www.brackleybeachnorthwinds.com
- Carr’s Oyster Bar: www.maureenbster.wixsite.com/carrspei
- Cavendish Country Inn: www.cavendishpei.com
- Cavendish Gateway Resort: www.cavendishgatewayresort.com
- Cavendish Pizza Delight: www.pizzadelight.com/en/find-a-restaurant/pizzeria/87-cavendish.html
- COWS – MOO MOO Grilled Cheese: www.moomoogrilledcheese.com
- Dave’s Lobster: www.daveslobster.com
- DP Murphy Inc – Tim Hortons: www.dpminc.com
- Emerald Isle Property Management: www.peivacationproperties.com/property-management
- Fisherman’s Wharf Lobster Suppers: www.fishermanswharf.ca
- Grandpa’s Antique Photo Studio: www.grandpasphotos.com
- How Bazaar!: www.facebook.com/howbazaarpei/
- Inn at the Pier: Dockside Restaurant & the Pier Water Sports: www.innatthepier.com
- Maritime Fun Group: www.maritimefun.com
- Marco Polo Land: www.marcopololand.com
- New Glasgow Lobster Suppers: www.peilobstersuppers.com
- Piatto Pizzeria: www.piattopizzeria.com/charlottetown
- RAZZY’s Beachhouse and Roadhouse: www.razzys.ca
- Resort at Cavendish Corner: www.resortatcavendishcorner.com
- Sandpiper Cottages & Suites: www.sandpipercottagespei.com
- Stanley Bridge Country Resort: www.stanleybridgeresort.com
- Subway, Cavendish: www.facebook.com/pages/Subway/586724804796218
- The Gables of PEI Resort: www.thegablesofpei.com
- Lost Anchor Pub & Gallery: www.facebook.com/The-Lost-Anchor-Pub-Galley-1079623915386381
- The Pearl Eatery: www.pearleatery.com
- Sunset Campground: www.cavendishsunsetcampground.com
- White Gables at Hope River: www.whitegablesathoperiver.com
- York Bay Place Cottages: www.yorkbayplace.com