Seafood sector is making waves on PEI
The fisheries sector on PEI includes all wild-caught aquatic species. The sector concentrates mainly on lobster, and also includes other species.
The industry directly employs over 2,000 people, and indirectly fuels employment in multiple product and service industries. Jobs range in length from six to 10 months in the lobster processing sector.
According to the 2017 PEI Annual Statistical Review, the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries estimates that the value of total fish landings in 2017 increased by 20.8 per cent to $324.1 million, a new all-time high for fish landings on PEI. Molluscs and crustaceans continue to be the top species of the Island fishery, comprising 95.2 percent of the total value of all fish landings. Total lobster landings increased by 19.0 percent in 2017 and total value increased by 16.7 percent to $225.9 million, also an all time high.
Fisheries on Prince Edward Island – Hiring practices
Acadian Supreme Inc., Wellington
Atlantic Aqua Farms, Orwell Cove
Beach Point Processing Company, Beach Point
Fisheries and Ocean Canada, Tignish
North Lake Fisheries Inc., North Lake
PEI Mussel King, Morell
Royal Stars Foods, Jude’s Point
Seafood 2000 Ltd., Georgetown
South Shore Seafood Ltd., Bloomfield
Western Custom Traps, Tignish
About the PEI seafood sector
- 4,150 commercial fishers
- 1,300 inshore fishing vessels
- 1,261 licensed lobster fishers
- 42 provincially licensed and federally registered export plants
- 17 major shellfish shippers
- Lobster: the spring season runs from May to June, and produces about 80 percent of the harvest. The fall season runs from mid-August to mid-October. PEI lobster companies produce a wide range of value- added products exported worldwide. PEI produces almost 20 percent of Canadian lobsters.
- Snow crab is the most important commercial crab species in eastern Canada.
- Rock crab is harvested April to October.
- Atlantic mackerel fishing season runs from June to December.
- The Bluefin tuna fishery is a commercial and sport industry. North Lake is known as the Tuna Capital of the World. Bluefin tuna is marketed globally.
- Herring fishing season runs from May to October.
- Smelt fishing season runs from October to February. Smelts are exported fresh and frozen to major markets in North America and Asia.
- Silversides fishing season runs from October to December. Most of the catch is sold as bait and zoo food.
- Irish moss is a perennial sea plant harvested along the shore line. The season runs from
June to October.
For more information about the Fisheries sector on PEI:
- PEI Fisherman’s Association Ltd.: www.tastepeilobster.ca
- PEI Seafood Processors Association: www.peispa.com
- Lobster Fishers of PEI Marketing Board: www.lobsterpei.ca
- PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries: www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/topic/agriculture-and-fisheries
- Department of Fisheries and Oceans: www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/cfs-spc/tab/cfs-spc-tab2-eng.htm
- Central Northumberland Strait Fishermen’s Association
- Eastern Kings Fishermen’s Association
- North Shore Fishermen’s Association
- Southern Kings and Queens Fishermen’s Association
- Western Gulf Fishermen’s Association
|Click to find videos of entrepreneurs telling their stories.|
|Click for related articles on Fisheries.|