The second-annual Holland College Career Advancement Expo for adult education students was held at the Prince of Wales campus in Charlottetown. The event was held to assist them with their post-secondary decisions.
“We have a lot of students exploring career options,” says Karen Ford-Doyle, Academic Advisor with Holland College Adult Education. “About 619 adult education students attend seven of our centres across PEI.
“Students can explore many pathways to go from a college diploma to a university program. If students can get 70 percent of funding from SkillsPEI for their first diploma and then go onto a degree, it’s a huge debt reduction. It’s about making well-educated decisions and knowing what’s out there.”
Know the labour market
Dr. Sandy MacDonald, Vice President Academic and Applied Research at Holland College, gave the keynote address, encouraging the students to accept change.
“There has always been change in the labour market and we need to be completely adaptable human beings. Employers tell us the skills they look for include the ability to work with others, manage your emotions, and meet the goals of your business or organization.
“Learning can be fun and easy, but it’s sometimes difficult. It’s OK to challenge yourself, because by constantly learning, your brain is growing.
“Think about stress as helping you learn and grow your brain. Always be curious and ask questions. Now more than ever, it’s important to be a life-long learner.”
Holland College Support Services
- Recruitment: Jenn Redmond, 902-566-9360
- Admissions: Shelly Bradley, 902-566-9667 – 902-629-4217
- Student Support Services: Velda Crane, 902-629-4237
- Counselling Services: June Harper, 902-894-6833
- Scholarships / Bursaries: Crystal Neary, 902-566-9374
- Open Academic Studies: Joanne d’Entremont, 902-566-9334
- Articulation Agreements: Melissa Josey, 902-566-9518
- Holland College general information: call 1-800-446-5265
Other services and resources to help enter post-secondary
Career Development Services, visit www.cdspei.ca.
WorkPEI, visit www.workpei.ca.