- Oct 10, 2023
Entry Level Cook Training
This course introduces the fundamental concepts, skills and techniques in basic cookery, including cold kitchen, hot kitchen, and short order.
KITCHEN TRAINING (8 WEEKS)
The participants spend 8 weeks in kitchen training learning from the course textbook with two local chefs as their instructors. Emphasis is placed on following a recipe, measurements and conversions, common kitchen terminology, knife cuts, safe food/equipment handling, and basic cooking techniques. Participants will also take part in certifications for:
- First Aid & CPR/AED Level C
- Food Safety Training
- PEI BEST Service Excellence
INTERNSHIP (4 WEEKS)
Participants will spend 4 weeks working in the industry at local establishments to gain experience and practice their skills in a real-life kitchen setting.
To be eligible to participate you must:
- Have completed high school (Grade 12), GED, or equivalent.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be a Canadian Citizen of have Permanent Residency Status
- Have the minimum language requirement of CLB 5, which is equivalent to the IELTS score of 5.
- Be unemployed or underemployed (<20 Hours/Week) OR be a current employee in a PEI restaurant.
Eligible program participants will receive a stipend to cover living and transportation expenses (equivalent to minimum wage over 30 hours/week) paid bi-weekly. If you currently have an Employment Insurance Claim open, the stipend will be used to top up your wages to be equal to other program participants. If you are receiving more on your EI Claim than the stipend, you will not receive the stipend and continue collecting your EI normally.