UPEI Professional Development Program
This two-day course will explore the dynamics of team functioning. Through lectures and exercises (which may include role plays), participants will:
• Examine the five stages of team development and the establishment of team norms;
• Explore common communication problems and learn how to promote the safe and respectful exchange of ideas by team members;
• Learn how to maximize team performance using strategies for working effectively with different personality types;
• Examine collaborative strategies for constructively managing team conflict;
• Explore team decision-making and learn strategies for coming up with and evaluating options/solutions;
• Explore how to create a shared vision for success by setting overall and supporting goals and by developing a strategy for achieving and measuring outcomes;
• Examine the behaviours of a good leader and the skills required to keep a team focused on targets and motivated to succeed;
• Examine the common causes of team dysfunction and learn strategies for overcoming dysfunction to achieve greater team success;
• Learn how to get the benefits of and manage the challenges brought about by cultural, generational and organizational diversity on teams.
Grant Funding Available
Students can apply for a grant funding for this program. For more information please contact Charlene Miller at (902) 620-5216.