Centre Acadien de Prince-Ouest in Tignish is an early years learning centre located at École Pierre-Chiasson in Deblois. The centre offers service to 50 children, plus some who attend part-time.
There are eight full-time staff. “There is a huge demand across PEI for French daycare staff,” says Tammy Shields, Director. “At present, we are fully staffed, but we are in need of substitutes. If an employee leaves or gets ill, we will be scrambling to find a replacement.
“It can be challenging to find French speaking staff. New hires do not have to pass a written test. We look for staff who can speak and instruct in French.”
The centre has six infants, two full classes of children aged 22 months to three years, a full class of three-year-olds and a full class of four-year-olds. “We are filled to capacity, and we do not have the ability to meet the demand to accept more infants. Other centres across PEI are also struggling to find enough educators and have long lists of waiting parents.”
Six French daycare centres are housed in the six French schools located in Deblois, Wellington, Rustico, Souris, Charlottetown, and Summerside.
What is required to work as a Daycare Instructor?
- two-year diploma in Early Childhood Care & Education
- Certified First Aid course
- A vulnerable sector criminal record clearance from the RCMP
- The ability to speak French
Early learning education programs
- Collège de l’Île offers a program in French in Wellington and Charlottetown
- Holland College offers a program in English in Charlottetown
“To be employed in a French-speaking daycare centre, a person does not have to take the program in French, as long as they can speak the language. We welcome applicants who speak Acadian French or are graduates of French immersion.”
Tammy welcomes on-the-job training candidates who have a passion for working with children and are currently enrolled in programs such as Career Bridges or post-secondary programs that meet the requirements. “It is a very rewarding career,” says Tammy.
Benefits to being a daycare worker:
- Competitive salary for certified staff beginning at $15.66/hr
- Three percent yearly salary raise
- Dental and medical coverage
- Paid holidays, statutory holidays
- Evenings and weekends off
- Working in a positive environment
- Contributing to children’s early learning and care.
Tammy encourages anyone who would like more information regarding the daycare facility or employment to contact her.
To apply as substitute, contact Tammy Shields at 902-882-0475 ext. 183 or email [email protected].