Accommodations is a large part of the tourism sector. Accommodations on PEI include cabins, cottages, housekeeping units, hotels, lodges, motels, inns, hostels, bed and breakfast establishments, resorts, recreational vehicle parks, trailer rentals, hostels, and campgrounds.
Tourism Indicators from the PEI Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture report that total overnight stays on the Island have decreased sharply since the pandemic began. In June 2020, total room nights sold on PEI were down 84.9 percent from a year earlier. By September 2020, total room nights sold on PEI were down 59.5 percent from a year earlier.
According to statistics from the province of PEI, 5,800 people worked in Accommodations and Food Services in 2019. According to the PEI Labour Force Survey, between November 2019 and November 2020 employment in the Accommodations and Food Service Sector on Prince Edward Island was down by 1,100.
Accommodations jobs on PEI include:
- Front Desk
- General Managers
- Food and Beverage
PEI Accommodation news you can use:
Responding to Labour Challenges in Atlantic Canada’s Accommodations Industry: APEC Report
Careers in Accommodations – VIDEO
The following videos on careers in tourism come from TIAPEI’s Choose Tourism website and YouTube page:
Front Desk Agent
Meet Josh who talks about his experience as a Front Desk Agent working in Charlottetown, PEI.
Housekeeping Room Attendant
Meet Rose who gives an account of her day to day work life working as a Housekeeping Room Attendant in Charlottetown, PEI.
Emerit: Canada’s best online tourism and hospitality training
Skills training made simple! Learen at your own pace with one of emerit’s programs designed to make you a Certified Professional in your chosen career.
Choose from the following programs
- Housekeeping Attendant
- Event Management
- Food and Beverage Server/ Manager
- Line Cook
- Taxicab and Limousine Driver
- Tour Guide
- Travel Counselor
- and many more . . .
For more information, contact Alex MacKenzie at 902-566-5008 or [email protected].
Is tourism for me? Take the quiz
Tourism HR Canada developed the Tourism Competency Questionnaire after speaking to tourism leaders and employees about what it takes to enjoy and succeed in a tourism career. See how well your own skills and interests fit into the tourism sector. Click here.
For more information about jobs in the industry, training options on PEI, and more, visit:
- Tourism Industry Association of PEI: www.tiapei.pe.ca
- Choose Tourism: www.choosetourism.ca
- Training and certification programs for most tourism jobs: www.emerit.ca
- More information about training, jobs, and videos: www.discovertourism.ca
Click to watch videos of the many programs Holland College offers at the Tourism and Culinary Centre
- Aerospace, Defence, Marine and Security sector
- Auto Service / Small & Heavy Equipment Repair
- Automotive Dealerships
- Boat-building sector
- Canada’s Ocean Supercluster
- Career Development Profession
- Community Sector Network on PEI
(representing non-profit organizations)
- Construction – Commercial
- Construction – Residential
- Creative & Cultural
- Digital Economy Industry
- Early Childhood Education
- Education / Training
- Finance / Real Estate / Leasing
- Food & Beverage
- Food Processing
- Island Technology Professionals (ITP)
- Justice & Public Safety
- Municipal / Federal / Provincial Public Sector
- National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces
- Professional / Scientific / Technical
- Renewable Energy
- Retail / Wholesale
- Road / Bridge Building
- Sports / Recreation
- Trades & Technology
- Other Industries & Career Options