by Stella Shepard
Abegweit Driving School has been helping people learn to drive for more than 30 years through in-car instruction and driver-teacher interaction sessions.
The business has locations in Charlottetown and Alberton and is currently owned and managed by David Anderson. Behind-the-wheel instruction and training is offered in Arabic, English, French, Mandarin and Spanish.
The company employs a staff of seven highly trained Driving Instructors and a full-time office person. Joe Byrne is the Manager and a Driver Instructor, and has been with the company since 2010.
“A driver’s license is a rite of passage in our society,” says Joe. “For a teenager, the sense of independence and responsibility gained when earning a driver’s license is a major step in becoming an adult. For newcomers, a driver’s license is essential for living on PEI.”
“The demand for in-car Driving Instructors is very high,” says Joe. “We could expand the driving school if we could hire more Instructors.
“We have immediate hiring needs for full-time or part-time staff in the Charlottetown and Summerside areas. We would also hire two people in the West Prince area if they were available. The company provides a certified provincial training program for new hires.”
The salary ranges from $18 to $22 per hour.
- Perform both classroom instruction and in-car training
- Provincially certified training provided
- Some general office administration
- Flexible work schedule – 15 to 40-plus hours a week
Skills and education needed
- Ability and desire to motivate, educate and teach
- A great work ethic with a strong people personality
- An understanding of driving skills and the Highway Traffic Act
- Excellent document management and communication skills
- General knowledge of highway routes for training
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Class 5 Driver’s License or higher with minimum five years driving experience in North America
- Clean Driver’s Abstract
“Flexibility, patience and good time management skills are critical to be an in-car Driver Instructor,” says Joe.
How to apply
Candidates will do an in-person interview and a drive with Joe to gain a better understanding of the role of a Driving Instructor.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
about Abegweit Driving School, contact Joe Byrne, Manager and Driver Instructor at 902-566-1482 or email [email protected].