The holidays are over and it’s time to set a plan in place to make 2017 your best year yet. To help you on your career journey, it is the intent of these monthly HR Insight columns to share answers to common employee questions I have received over the past 20 years as a Human Resources Management professional.
Most individuals spend 2,000+ hours at work each year. Every employee desires a great place to work, and everyone can help make it great.
What can you do to create a great workplace culture?
- Remember what attracted you to your current position. Find ways to advance your occupational interests.
- Focus on your work performance rather than the work habits of others. Committing to a results-oriented approach leads to a fulfilled and purposeful career.
- Establish amicable relationships with other employees by being respectful of individual differences and personality styles. Gossip is the biggest culprit in a toxic workplace.
- Embrace changes in your job as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- Find ways to support upper-level decisions rather than criticizing or complaining. Put positive energy into areas you can influence and control to the betterment of the company.
A better workplace is a shared responsibility, but it starts with you. Wishing you a productive 2017!
About Detry Carragher
As a Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR), Detry Carragher has led Carvo Group since 2004 and is consulted regularly by employers, industry groups, and employees from across Atlantic Canada on a range of employment-related topics.
Her work extends to several of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and Fortune 500 technology companies.
Detry was recently announced the winner of the prestigious HR AWARD OF EXCELLENCE. The award is presented annually to one of over 1,000 HRANS HR Professionals representing Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.
Her fresh take on challenging the status quo often sparks meaningful dialogue and change. Detry has contributed her insights on CBC, CTV, and the national HR Reporter publication.