by Gloria Welton
“The outlook for the 2023-2024 construction season is encouraging,” says Melissa Paquet, Executive Director, PEI Road Builders & Heavy Construction Association.
“Our Association looks forward to working with the new Minister, the Honourable Ernie Hudson, on infrastructure-related projects.”
This industry is looking to employ people for the following positions:
- Heavy Equipment Operator
- Traffic Control Person (flagging)
- Traffic Control Manager
- Truck Driver
“Employee commitment is very important. Employers want to invest in people who are willing to stay with their companies for the long-term.
“Anyone interested in working in this industry is welcome to contact the PEI Road Builders and Heavy Construction Association office,” says Melissa. “I can put people in touch with most of the roadbuilding companies in operation on PEI. Job seekers can send me a resumé, and I will forward it to our members.”
Resumes can be emailed to email@example.com
Please indicate your preferred job location and position.
The 2023 Provincial Highway Capital Budget breakdown is as follows:
|National & Collector Highways||22,300,000|
Promoting a career in Road Building and Heavy Construction
“Our industry, as many others, is facing a worker shortage crisis. Recruitment in our industry is one of our goals as we see an aging workforce. The call for skilled labourers is increasing across the board.
“A lack of public education about – and exposure to – road building and heavy construction is also a major cause of the labour shortage.
“Our Association will be working on a project focusing on youth recruitment over the next few years. We have already produced a career video promoting our industry via social media, for youth and job fairs, etc.”
To watch the video, click here.
Jobs in road and bridge building
- Skilled Labourers
- Heavy Equipment Operators
- Truck Drivers
- Heavy Equipment Mechanics
- Supervisors and Superintendents
- Consulting Engineers who design the roads
- Building Surveyors
- Office Managers, Accountants, and Heavy Equipment Dealers
- The Construction Technology program at Holland College includes a component of heavy civil (roadbuilding).
- Civil Engineers, who design roads, need a university Engineering degree.
- JVI offers courses for Truck Drivers and Heavy Equipment Operators.